Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wake by Lisa McCann





Wake by Lisa McCann



Borrowed from Library


As I am sure many of you have already heard, it seems that Miley Cyrus has been signed up to play the part of Janie in the movie of Lisa McCann's book Wake. Not sure how Christinabean and I feel about that, but we'll leave that discussion for another time and place. I'm sure that in the wake (sorry about the pun) of this news, new editions of the novel will be published and there will be renewed interest. So I thought I would remind you all what the story is about and see if I can convince some of you to read if, if you haven't already!

Janie is a pretty normal 17 year old , in every way but one - she has the ability to enter peoples dreams. Unfortunately she has no control over her ability and would rather not have it all. Janie has no-one she can talk to about this, not even her best friend Carrie. When she meets Cabel at school, she begins to think that she has finally found someone she can trust with her secrets. Then she finds out that Cabel is dealing drugs and hanging around with another girl. How can she trust him again?


I'm ashamed to admit that I actually took this book home from the library three times before I eventually got around to reading it today. Not sure why - I don't think I like the cover very much - but now I'm just sorry I didn't read it first time around. It was really enjoyable and I whipped through it in about 24 hours. Ms McCann's descriptions of the dreams that Janie experiences were really spot on. I don't think there's anyone out there who hasn't dreamt of falling/drowning/being naked etc. so it was easy to believe what Janie was experiencing. The same can be said of nightmares, although I hope I never have one like Cabel's. Janie's relationship with Cabel is full of ups and downs, and is definitely not a sure bet. I have to point out that there is some bad language in this one, and several references to teen drinking and drugs, but truthfully that is what made the book seem more realistic to me. Well worth reading, if you haven't already done so.

No comments:

Post a Comment