Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Published: October 6, 2009
Publisher: Random House
Pages: 374
Copy obtained by: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
Imagine waking up one day in total darkness, unsure of where you are and unable to remember anything about yourself except your first name. You're in a bizarre place devoid of adults called the Glade. The Glade is an enclosed structure with a jail, a graveyard, a slaughterhouse, living quarters, and gardens. And no way out. Outside the Glade is the Maze, and every day some of the kids -- the Runners -- venture into the labyrinth, trying to map the ever-changing pattern of walls in an attempt to find an exit from this hellish place. So far, no one has figured it out. And not all of the Runners return from their daily exertions, victims of the maniacal Grievers, part animal, part mechanical killing machines.

Review:
As you know, I’m a cover snob. If the book cover isn’t pretty or somewhat attractive, I’m just not going to read it until I know more about the story or there has been some buzz. The Maze Runner does not have a very interesting cover. I think it is too detailed...or maybe the details are too small. After reading the story, I can see how the cover conveys one of the maze entrances but seriously, no offense Random House but you need something better. I have heard that Maze Runner will be made into a movie. If that is the case, please change the cover for your next print run....

So onto the story.

THIS WAS AN AMAZING STORY

At first the slang terms and character speak drove me nuts for the first 30 pages. I seriously didn’t know if I could get past it but I’m so glad that I did. Once the story started to evolve, so did the language and the slang terms at the beginning started to become less noticable, even fitting for the environment the boys were living in. The world Mr. Dasher created was innovative, fresh and intriguing. I felt myself reading faster and faster as events were unfolding. It was hard to put down. With a steady paced novel, I can finish it quickly and move onto the next book in the series. Lucky for me, The Maze Runner was just as great as I was expecting and I had already secured a copy of The Scorch Trials (which I also read in 2 days...hey, that's fast for me.)



Like the book trailer? Sounds interesting, doesn't it? I guessed the ending before reading the final pages but it was still worthwhile. This book would be a great ISU highlighting a dystopian theme. I'd love to hear comments from any of you who have read it.

If you enjoyed Lord of the Flies, you would definitely like The Maze Runner and if you have read The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials, why not try out the Gone series by Michael Grant. I know that we've pegged this one as a great guys' read but I'm certain the girls would enjoy it as well. I mean, I'm a girl right?

If you'd like to read Curlypow's take on this one, you can check it out HERE

2 comments:

  1. I love the Gone series! Maybe it's time to try the Maze Runner out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is on my list of things to read. I may have to move it up on the list.

    ReplyDelete