Saturday, February 26, 2011

Empty by Suzanne Weyn

Published: Oct 2010
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Pages: 192
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:

It's the near future - the very near future - and the fossil fuels are running out. No gas. No oil. Which means no driving. No heat. Supermarkets are empty. Malls have shut down. Life has just become more local than we ever knew it could be.


Nobody expected the end to come this fast. And in the small town of Spring Valley, decisions that once seemed easy are quickly becoming matters of life and death. There is hope - there has to be hope - just there are also sacrifices that need to be made, and a whole society that needs to be rethought.

Teens like Niki, Tom, and Gwen may find what they need to survive. But their lives are never going to be the same again.

Review:

I was looking forward to this story because the plot is so plausible. With our natural resources diminshing and the world looking towards alternative forms of energy, don't you also wonder if we will have enough viable solutions before we run out of fossil fuels? Will we be ready for a time when we need to find other forms of energy? Are we doing enough now to cut down on energy consumption and finding alternative methods?

This was not a long book and I was certain that I could read it quite quickly but to be honest, I didn't even finish it. I just couldn't seem to get into the story. The main character Gwen was depressing and made herself a bit of an outcast, Niki was completely clueless and seemed to be quite shallow and Tom, well, he didn't seem to have much depth either. I was about 1/2 way through when I gave up and started on another title. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood or had the right atmosphere but I just couldn't keep going.

Sorry Empty, I'm just not into you. You just left me feeling a little....empty. Maybe we'll meet again during our next blackout...

No comments:

Post a Comment