Thursday, April 28, 2011

Gone by Lisa McCann


Published: February 2010
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 214
Copy: From Library
Summary: Goodreads


Janie thought she knew what her future held. And she thought she’d made her peace with it. But she can’t handle dragging Cabel down with her.



She knows he will stay with her, despite what she sees in his dreams. He’s amazing. And she’s a train wreck. Janie sees only one way to give him the life he deserves: She has to disappear. And it’s going to kill them both.


Then a stranger enters her life — and everything unravels. The future Janie once faced now has an ominous twist, and her choices are more dire than she’d ever thought possible. She alone must decide between the lesser of two evils. And time is running out. . . .

So I finally got around to finishing Lisa McMann's Wake trilogy.  Gone is the final book after Wake and Fade. How do I feel about it?  To be honest, I'm not really sure.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I have to say that I don't feel wowed. 

Janie is struggling with the bad news she got from Miss Stubin and has basically gone into a bit of a depression.  Not surprising really, is it?  I  would like to be able to give you examples of why I didn't feel particularly sympathetic this time around, but I can't pin it down to any specific thing, I just didn't feel it.  At the beginning of the book she gets mad at Cabe for going through Henry's stuff, then she goes out by herself and does exactly that.  She knows Cabe is there for her, but continually pushes him away.  Perhaps I don't understand her reasoning because I've never had to make those kind of choices, I don't know?

I apologise, I know I'm not really making sense here.  Janie and Cabel are a great couple. In fact, Cabel may be one of the nicest guys to read about right now, but I just felt as if something was missing for me.  Some spark. As a whole I enjoyed the trilogy, but this one ended for me with a whimper, not a bang.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no. This book is on my TBR pile and when I started it I just couldn't get into it the way I did with the others. I can't really explain it either, but the first two I devoured in one sitting once I got used to the writing style again.

    Good review. I might have to take a break between books before I read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, new follower here. This whole series seemed promising, but it fell off my wishlist after a few sour reviews. I have read far too many books to spend my precious time reading stuff that's just okay if I can help it! Too bad they didn't seem to live up to their potential. :( Anyway, please follow me back when you get the chance and I hope you have a great weekend and read a better book next! :)

    -Sandra from http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete