Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Musings by Knitwits - Creating Glamorous Jewelry with Swarovski Elements by Jean Campbell

Published: November 2010
Publisher: Creative Publishing International, Incorporated
Pages:144
Copy: Library
Summary: Goodreads


Creating Glamorous Jewelry with Swarovski Elements presents a collection of modern reproductions of classic Hollywood glitz, worn by the dazzling starlets of the big screen, including Marlene Dietrich, Katherine Hepburn, and Marilyn Monroe. All 20 sparkling jewelry pieces are made with the internationally popular Swarovski products, including the newest items in their line of crystal beads and stones. Detailed instructions and illustrations take you step-by-step through the creation of each piece. Whether dressed up or dressed down, these statement pieces will be fun to wear and become stunning, heirloom-quality additions to your jewelry collection.

I am not a bead artist - I very rarely make jewelery, because I very rarely wear fancy jewelery.  But I have to admit, that some of the pieces in this book are very tempting.  I ordered it from the library to see if I could get some ideas to help me out with my daughter's wedding dress.  I have to come up with a beaded piece for the front of the dress, and while I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to be doing, a little inspiration never goes wrong. 

This wonderful book, is full of wonderful black and white photos of starlets from the 30's, 40's, 50's  and 60's wearing these amazing pieces of jewelery, and then the book gives instructions on how to make them all!  They all use these beautiful Swarovski crystals and are just astounding. I am so incredibly tempted, but I am exercising amazing restraint.  I WILL NOT start beading.  It's too expensive, and I already spend too much money on all my threads and wool.  I'm standing firm in my resolve - I won't make anything.  Honestly, I'm not going to.  Really, I mean it. Well perhaps that lovely bracelet on page 66 - modelled by Natalie Wood in the movie ' The Great Race' (1965) - if I changed that from black stones to amethyst, it would look really great with my dress for the wedding ...... NO! I will stand firm! NO beading for me ...... right!

If you can tear yourself away from your beading, don't forget our giveaway for our 1 year blogversary It's still open until midnight, July 3rd. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment