Thursday, October 20, 2011

Slayers by C J Hill



Published: September 2011
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Pages: 304
ecopy: Courtesy of Netgalley and Publisher
Summary: Goodreads

Dragons exist. They’re ferocious. And they’re smart: Before they were killed off by slayer-knights, they rendered a select group of eggs dormant, so their offspring would survive. Only a handful of people know about this, let alone believe it – these “Slayers” are descended from the original knights, and are now a diverse group of teens that includes Tori, a smart but spoiled senator’s daughter who didn’t sign up to save the world.

The dragon eggs have fallen into the wrong hands. The Slayers must work together to stop the eggs from hatching. They will fight; they will fall in love. But will they survive?

'Slayers' was a book that I enjoyed immensely, especially the last half of the book, where the action ratcheted up several notches.

Tori, the main protagonist, is typical of a spoilt rich kid (Senator's daughter) - seemingly more concerned about her hair and clothes than learning about her slayer skills and heritage.  She was one of those characters that I loved and hated in equal measure.  I knew that there had to be more to her than just shallowness, and I was proved right in the end. Lori and Alyssa are typical 'mean' girls, unwilling to give Tori a chance to become one of the team.  Dirk and Jesse are wonderful team captains.  Both tall, dark and handsome and with 'awesome' powers.  I just couldn't decide which one I was rooting for Dirk, Jesse - Jesse, Dirk - oh the indecision!  In the end I went with the wrong one, but you'll have to read for yourself to find out which one that is :) It was interesting to see the team dynamics and how Tori's arrival impacted those teams. I also loved the nod to 'The A Team'  - I'm assuming that was the original movie series and not the terrible movie that came out recently.

There is an wonderful undercurrent of suspense that runs through the story when we find out that there is a traitor in the camp, and I admit to being surprised when I found out who it was.  I'd suspected earlier, but dismissed the notion as ridiculous, so it was an interesting twist. 

I've always been a dragon fan, so I was almost prediposed to like this one, but the myriad of enjoyable characters and suspense-filled writing ensured that I did. Dragons, super powers, secret slayers, adventure and excitement - all the makings of a fun and enjoyable read.  Try it for yourself, I recommend it.

On a side note - can anyone tell me what's going on with the cover tho'.  I haven't seen it in person since I read an e-copy, but I can't make it out at all.  It looks a bit like a demented shark from where I am, and I can assure you there are none in the book.  So, don't let the cover put you off.

No comments:

Post a Comment