Saturday, January 21, 2012

Angel Burn by L A Weatherly


Published: May 2011
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Pages: 449
Copy: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Willow knows she's different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into the future and know people's dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them. she has no idea where this power comes from. But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows more about Willow than Willow herself does. He knows that her powers link to dark and dangerous forces and that he's one of the few humans left who can fight them. When Alex finds himself falling in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems, least of all good and evil.


Angel Burn (also published as 'Angel') was one of those books for me that I really enjoyed, but....
I loved the main premise of this one - that the angels are the bad guys.  I know this has been done before, but to my mind what made this one different is that basically these angels are soul-sucking aliens.  Vampires of the soul really.  There is a certain smarmy, slimyness to them that gave me the shivers. 

What did I think about Willow and Alex, well as individual characters I really enjoyed them.  Willow was strong and confident and handled herself well in a crisis.  Alex was every girls dream - gorgeous, dangerous, mysterious - reminded me a bit of  Sam and Dean in Supernatural, a bit of an amalgamation of the two of them.  My problem arose when Willow and Alex decided they were in love.  The lead up worked fine, but afterwards, it was just too much for me. I'm normally a great fan of romance, but something here just didn't sit right, it was all just too much!  There are some other characters, but really the story is just that of Willow and Alex, and perhaps thats where I had a problem, not enough about the other characters.

Now having said that, it didn't put me off the story line.  Ms Weatherly writes beautifully and it was easy to forget that the book was almost 450 pages long.  It read quickly and was exciting and mysterious in parts, and of course very romantic.  I like the way the book ended, completely finishing this portion of the story, but leaving things wide open for sequels. Speaking of which, Angel Fire came out in October last year, and it looks as if Angel Fever is coming out October this year. Will I read them, yes definitely.  I just hope the romance isn't quite as sweet.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting premiss. Not sure I like the angels being the bad guys.

    ReplyDelete