Sunday, April 8, 2012

Same Book Second Look - The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong


Published: April 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 359
Copy: Bought
Summary: Goodreads

Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island. 

Until now

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet. 

Review:
So as some of you know, I have a massive TBR pile.  I have so many books that I've actually given some to friends to read because I just can't read them all and they were collecting dust on my shelves.  I have chosen a select few to read through before sharing them with friends.  And this is definitely one I would share with friends.

I am a big fan of Kelley Armstrong.  I have had the privilege of meeting her in person and have read her Darkest Powers trilogy.  I can't say enough great things about this author.  She has written so many fantastic novels and she is an absolute gem to speak with.  One thing that I LOVE about her is that she takes time out for her audience.  She runs a crazy schedule just so she can hold workshops on writing and meet her fans.  She's yet another author who is in touch with her craft and her audience.  Plus, she is Canadian to boot!  

I found this new series even more entertaining than The Darkest Powers trilogy.  Being that this is the first book, I can't wait for the next one (entitled The Calling and co-incidentally comes out April 10th!)  The book takes place in Canada and there are so many references to "Canadianisms"  it had me laughing out loud.  Ms. Armstrong really showcased her wit with this one.  My favourite was how Kelley incorporated poutine into her writing. LOVE IT.

**possible spoiler**
I found The Gathering to be identifiable and believable on some level.  By linking native folklore to shapeshifting, it felt more real.  
**end spoiler**

Also, Kelley's writing tone and style felt like it was aimed at an older audience.  Sure, the quips (such as those I have quoted below) are aimed at a younger audience but her delivery felt different than The Darkest Powers books.  I'm really enjoying this series though.  If you're an older young adult reader like I am, you may as well.

My favourite quotes 

“Rafe didn't just flirt-he charmed girls right up to the point where they fell for him, then he changed his mind.I called him a player with attention deficit disorder.” 

“Rafe grinned. "So we are dating?" 
"No. You have to pass the parental exam first. It'll take you awhile to compile the data. They'd like it in triplicate." 
I turned to my parents. "We have Kenji. We have my cell phone. Since we aren't officially dating, I'm sure you'll agree that's all the protection we need." 
Dad choked on his coffee.” 

RE: Sharing with friends.  On second thought, I might not get it back....get your own copy!  :P

Still not convinced?  Here is the book trailer for The Calling.  How can you NOT be intrigued to start this series??


Don't forget to check out out Giveaways for all 6 vols of The Galahad Legacy and Julie Kagawa's The Immortal Rules

3 comments:

  1. My son is named Rafe. I think it would make reading this a little weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one yet. Sounds good though :) I have a giant TBR too, but i don't feel like giving some away lol. I wanna read them all :)
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, that is laugh out loud funny!! Yeah, I can see it being a little uncomfortable....

    Steph, my TBR pile is so big that I'm certain that I'll be well into my 90's and still be trying to catch up...I wonder if they'll have YA titles in large print...hahaha!

    ReplyDelete