Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Musings by Knitwits - Sunday Morning Quilts by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison



Published: April 2012
Publisher: C & T Publishing
Pages: 143
Copy Provided by: Bought
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
Are scrap piles wreaking havoc in your sewing space? Not sure what to do with all those tiny bits of gorgeous prints you hate to part with? Modern quilters Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison share a passion for scraps, and they re here to help you get creative with 16 scrappy quilt projects that include piecing, applique, and improvisational work. This book has ideas on how to adapt patterns for your own personal Sunday morning style, plus tips for effectively cutting, storing, and organizing your scraps. Your Sunday mornings just got a whole lot cozier!

Review:
Last year I inherited all of my mother's quilting/craft supplies.  I could literally open my own store with this stash.  In fact, I downsized my new stash by donating 14 garbage bags of fabric and supplies to a local charity.  Now I struggle with finding inspirational patterns to work with all of this fabric.  One of the problems I have encountered is that my mother's style is not my style.  I like a modern style, bright colors and even something that is a little 30's kitchy.  

Below are a sample of some of the quilts by Cheryl Arkison using patterns from Sunday Morning Quilts




Sunday Morning quilts delivers and even explains how a pattern, colors and design can be transformed into a more Modern look.  This title is easy to read and perfect for a beginner to intermediate quilter.  If you have a ton of fabric, especially scrap size and are having trouble organizing, Sunday Morning Quilts offers some great ideas.  You CAN conquer the overwhelming feelings of digging through a haphazard bag stuffed with scraps. Jean and Cheryl also show you how they work in small spaces and give you tips to remain inspired.
Personally, I think my Sundays just got a lot more interesting!

Follow up - I just discovered that Cheryl Arkison is a fellow Calgarian.  For those of you who don't know. Calgary has had massive flooding since last Thursday.  In fact, our entire downtown city core was shut down.  So many people have lost their homes and belongings to water damage.  Calgary is my hometown and I am thankful that my friends and family are safe.  To get an idea of how bad it was, check out this link - http://globalnews.ca/news/661667/photo-gallery-calgary-floods-before-and-after/.  Knowing that Cheryl was also born and raised in Cowtown makes me doubly proud to promote her title on our blog.  :)  Want to connect with Cheryl?  She has her own blog.  Luckily, Amanda Jean Nyberg is in Wisconsin and was not near the flooding in Alberta.  She also has her own blog.  Buy Sunday Morning Quilts and make your weekends brighter!

No comments:

Post a Comment