Sunday, October 17, 2010

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White



Released: August 2010
Publisher: Harper Teen
# Pages: 335
Copy provided by: Bought
Summary: Goodreads


Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal. Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures. So much for normal.


Evie is a normal human with a special gift. Or is she? Lend is a paranormal who can look like anyone he wants, male or female, but what is he? Reth is a seriously creepy fairy with an obsession for Evie. Put them all together and you have Paranormalcy, a story filled with mystery, intrigue, death, love, obsession, fae and wonderful humour.

'Lend's dad, two werewolves, and a vampire. It was like the setup to a bad joke or something. A doctor, two werewolves, and a vampire walk into a bar. "What'll you have?' the bartender asks. "We were thinking him," the vampire answers, eyeing the doctor.' (206)

Evie is such a loveable dork. She like to wear sparkly pink, her weapon of choice is a pink taser, and her biggest dream is to go to a real highschool and have a locker. Plus, she can kick serious butt. What's not to love about her?

' "I give you - my locker." It was a sickly teal, paint chipping off the corners to reveal a previous tan coat. I reached out and put my hand on the cold metal. "So, is it everything you imagined?" he asked. "Everything I imagined and more," I whispered,' (241)

And the fact that the book is full of swearing, without having one actual swear word - only lots of bleep! So cool!

Lend's father, David, was a rather nice parental role model. There has been a lot of discussion about negative parenting in YA lately, so it was a change to have a father who was concerned about Lend and grounded him for his indiscretions, without going over the top. I liked him. Lend himself - swoon. I am having a serious case of lust. Just can't decide which of his outward appearances I liked best. I just loved the fact that he wasn't too macho to admit he was scared. Another thing I liked was the acceptance of differences, which was aparent in many areas of the book. I love tolerance!

'My jaw dropped. Underneath her glamour her back was hollow like an old tree, and she had a tail. "What is she?" I whispered. "Nona? Oh, she's a huldra. Tree spirit." Watching her and the other paranormals in there, things shifted for me. They were vibrant, happy, not hurting anyone. This was a good place.' (229)

' "So you really are one of a kind, aren't you?" ......... "You are so freaking awesome." ' (226)

Paranormalcy was one of those books where I want to quote from almost every chapter. I loved just about everything about this book. the story skipped along at a nice pace with tension, laughter and sadness in equal measure. It was so much fun to read. My only regret is that I have finished it way too soon and there won't be another one for a while - but at least there will be another one, two even. 'Supernaturally' is due out in the Fall, 2011. I would say 'Paranormalcy' is an absolute must for YA paranormal fans. Lots of what you love, but different. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment