Thursday, December 30, 2010

Elixir by Hilary Duff


Published: October 2010
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Pages: 327
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:

Clea Raymond lives an extraordinary life. The daughter of renowned surgeon and a prominent Washington DC figure, she has been in the spotlight her entire life. Followed by the paparazzi, she resents the attention that is lavished on her for her looks alone because she has so much more to offer.p

Clea Raymond has a unique gift. A proficient photographer, in all her pictures, there is little something extra, and it's not just a result of her talented eye. There is always an extra photo that she didn't take. And, as she discovered at a young age, those photos always lead to a place where some tragedy is about to occur that Clea can prevent.p

Two years ago, her father disappeared while on a humanitarian mission and is presumed dead, but that doesn't stop Clea and her mother from continuing to do good throughout the world. On one such trip to Columbia, she meets Race, the guide for the trip. She feels a connection to him but cannot explain why. Was it something in their past or possibly in their past lives? Whatever has brought them together is threatning to tear them apart forever. As the mystery of her father's disappearance unravels, Clea discover that she has powers that are bigger than anything she could have anticipated.

Review:
So, you know how there are some books that grab your attention and you just can't let go? Unfortunately, this was not one of those for me. I really had a hard time getting into this book. After about 50 pages, I still didn't really know the characters, no one was particularly interesting and I was still waiting for it to take me somewhere. So where did it take me? Back to the return box and onto another book. Sadly, I didn't finish the novel. I really do hate to stop in the middle of book but like we've said before, there are so many great titles out there, why waste your time reading something you simply aren't enjoying? Hilary, I like your acting, and your singing but I'll have to pass on your writing. Elixir, I'm just not into you.

I would love to hear from those of you who did read this book though. What did you think of the story? I believe it is set up for a sequel from what I've heard. Will you read #2? I would love to hear both positive and negative comments. Feel free to dish! :D


Curlypow's take: My daughter read this book, or tried to anyway. She got about 1/2 way through it and gave up on it - her comment to me was 'don't bother Mum!' So I took her at her word - we usually like or dislike the same things. But what is interesting to me is that if you check the rating on Goodreads, 'Elixir' has 4 stars. Which just goes to show that there must be a lot of you out there who enjoyed this. Please tell us what you thought about it - should Christinabean and I try again?

No comments:

Post a Comment