Sunday, February 19, 2012

Someone Else's Life by Katie Dale


Published: February 14th, 2012
Publisher: Doubleday Canada
ecopy: Courtesy of Netgalley and Publisher 
Summary: Goodreads

When seventeen-year-old Rosie’s mother, Trudie, dies from Huntington’s Disease, her pain is intensified by the knowledge that she has a fifty-per-cent chance of inheriting the crippling disease herself. Only when she tells her mum’s best friend, ‘Aunt Sarah’ that she is going to test for the disease does Sarah, a midwife, reveal that Trudie was not her biological mother after all... Devastated, Rosie decides to trace her real mother, hitching along on her ex-boyfriend’s GAP year to follow her to Los Angeles. But all does not go to plan, and as Rosie discovers yet more of her family's deeply-buried secrets and lies, she is left with an agonising decision of her own - one which will be the most heart-breaking and far-reaching of all...

This was an interesting read about actions and consequences, that unfortunately fell a little flat for me.  The premise behind the story is sound - babies switched at birth - but I was never able  to fully connect with the characters.  The two girls, Rosie and Holly  were to my mind selfish and thoughtless.  Both of them seemed to leap to conclusions and act irresponsibly and without thought.  At one point they seemed like smudged carbon copies of each other.  Neither seemed to appreciate what they had and both seemed to want more.  I understand that their situations were difficult, but a little more thought and a little less immediate action would have worked better for me.  They seemed to reject family that had stood by them for years in order to pursue new dreams with hopes of immediate fullfillment.

Another false note for me were Josh and Andy.  I'm sorry, but they were both too good to be true.  I am sure that there are such wonderful men out there, but for them both to be so forgiving and accepting just didn't ring true for me.  Jack, well,  no 1 father of the year award, but without giving away a major spoiler, I just can't see it.

Still I don't want to appear totally negative.  I can totally appreciate the drama and romance in Someone Else's Life and I am absolutely certain that it will gain a huge following, especially for Jodi Picoult fans  (as has been mentioned by many) and others of her ilk.  There is enough angst and trauma for most fans, unfortunately, just a little too much for me.  Sorry, Ms. Dale, but Someone Else's Life was just not for me.


Due to the changes with Google Follower, we are now asking all new followers to use Linky Follower in the right hand column of our page. Google Follower Connect will be discontinued at the end of February. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not good with selfish or unbelieveable characters. I think I'll pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thoughts about the characters but then remembered they were teens in really rough situations. Holly was harder for me to reckon with though.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete