Friday, October 26, 2012

Follow Friday


Friday Follow is a blog hop that was started by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read.  Each week a different question is posted by our hosts and we wil answer!  This is a great opportunity for bloggers to network and interact. 
This week’s question – 


What writing device or trick most irritates you when reading a book? For example, if an author employs an omnipotent narrator that is sometimes considered bad form

OK, there are a few things that irritate me when reading a book.  I am not a writer (obviously) so I'm not sure if there are device terms for what I'm about to mention.

First of all, I do not like pop references that can date a book.  For instance, it is 2012 and the author makes reference to Prince Harry's semi-naked pictures from Vegas OR there are constantly quotes from a current popular song.  I think it is best for an author to keep a storyline fresh and create a timeline with their own events.


Something else that irritates me when reading a book are names that character names which are too similar or hard to remember.  Theoden of Thalen thought Princess Thola...blah blah blah blah.  That is a sure way to get me to stop reading after the first 10 pages. 

Sometimes I find it difficult to follow books where the plot flips back and forth between two timelines.  It has to be an incredibly entertaining read to keep me going when I'm reading about the past and then the present and then the future all within a few hundred pages.

Lastly, point of view.  If an author has two points of view in the same book and the narrator changes each chapter, I can handle that.  Once there are more than 3 narrators, this drives me a little batty.  Sure, you can change the font for each chapter but for some readers, it's just plain cruel.  Case in point - The Rise of Nine by Pitticus Lore.  I enjoyed it but it drove me crazy.  Enjoy your weekend and read lots my bookie friends!

- Christinabean

Just to add my 2 cents worth here, none of the above really bother me, but I absolutely hate it when a chapter is only a couple of pages long.  A lot of white space on page after page is enough to make me close a book fairly quickly.  I know it is supposed to indicate things happening at a rapid pace, but it just breaks up the narrative for me and I can't stand it. Have a great weekend all.

Curlypow

Welcome to the Paperback Princesses! Make yourself at home, take a look around our blog and let us know what you think in the comments section. We would love to hear what you have to say about our posts. We often try to comment on your comments as well so feel free to start a conversation! Since there are two of us running the show, we always have a variety of titles and event postings. Be sure to check out our own personal meme page. Check out Fantastic Fairytales, Let's Hear it for the Boys, In Case you Missed it and a few others. We try to not only focus on new YA books but also great titles from the past.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Character names that are hard to pronounce are irritating!

    New follower via GFC.
    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the name thing. I didn't think of that one, and it's a good one. If two main characters have a name that even starts with the same letter, it confuses me!

    And, the white space thing doesn't bother me -- also, it's really good for reluctant readers. They can make so much progress through a book so quickly. I think it really helps. But, I understand why you might not like it.

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  3. The names can be a bit of a turn off.. but if the story is strong, I stick with it.
    Short/Long chapters don't bother me... I have many other gripes! Lol.
    Old follower
    My post - F&F: Lit Tropes
    Addie @ READioactive Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about the more than two pov. can get confusing!

    http://mydailyobsessionreview.blogspot.com/2012/10/feature-and-follow-3.html

    old follower GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pop culture references bother me but I didn't even think to include it!

    My follow friday! Please visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree totally about tons of POVS and weird character names! Pop culture references only bother me if I don't get them and trying to figure out what the author is referring to takes me out of the story.
    Here's my FF
    *new GFC follower :)*

    ReplyDelete