Thursday, April 25, 2013

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare


Published: March 2013
Publisher: Margaret K McElderry
Pages: 568
Copy Provided by: 
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?
Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.

A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.


Review:

What can I say?  The Infernal Devices is such a wonderful trilogy building up as a prelude to The Mortal Instruments.  Cassie Clare sets the framework for her series beautifully and everytime I read her books, I want to go back and read them from the very beginning.

Tessa struggles with her love triangle but there is urgency as Jem's health deteriorates.  Does she marry Jem?  Will she foresake him for Will?  As readers, we are also still unclear as to what part Tessa will play in Mortmain's master plan.  Why does he want her so badly?  What role does she play in his plan with his Clockwork creatures?  Everything comes together smoothly though as the story unfolds.  There were a lot of concepts that I had not considered in this plotline...clever Cassie!!

I usually don't have anything negative to say about Cassandra's writing style or storyline but I do have to say one thing that irked me throughout the book....constant references in different languages (Mandarin is one of them) drove me nuts!  Even though I can understand some Mandarin, I felt like I needed a translator!  Sometimes there was commentary with the English derivative which made things easier but I did find this awfully irritating.  If I could change one thing about this book, it would be this.  I found it cut into the flow of the story.  Anyone else feel this way?

Something I want to caution eager readers on is this (and you may be tempted after reading my blurb) - 
In order for this plotline to be a surprise, DO NOT look at the inside of your book jacket (hard cover editions).  It shows a genealogy chart involving most of the main characters and WILL give you hints as to what happens in the novel.  I stumbled upon it 1/2 way through and was able to predict some of what would happen.  I know it may be tempting but if you want this story to be fresh and exciting, DO NOT peek at the chart....

In true Clare style, this trilogy is wrapped up neatly and jam-packed with action, adventure, romance and plenty of surprises.  I found it sad to say goodbye to these characters because I feel as though I've traveled a long road with them but at the same time, it was satisfying to see how things ended.  Besides, we can continue on new journeys with future generations (ie. Jace).  ;)  The Infernal Devices is not as strong a trilogy as the Mortal Instruments series but it is a fantastic intro to the world of Shadowhunters.  I would highly recommend this entire series to anyone (advanced reading pre-teens as well) up to adult readers.  

By the angel, if you haven't already started this series, you're missing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment