Saturday, December 28, 2013

Same Book, Second Look - The Trap by Andrew Fukuda

 
Published: November 25th, 2013
Publisher: St Martin's Griffin
Pages: 322
Copy: Library
Summary: Goodreads


From author Andrew Fukuda comes The Trap, the explosive finale to The Hunt trilogy—perfect for fans of The Hunger Games!

After barely escaping the Mission alive, Gene and Sissy face an impossible task: staying alive long enough to stop an entire world bent on their destruction. Bound on a train heading into the unknown with the surviving Mission girls, Gene, Sissy, David, and Epap must stick together and use everything they have to protect each other and their only hope: the cure that will turn the blood-thirsty creatures around them into humans again. Now that they know how to reverse the virus, Gene and Sissy have one final chance to save those they love and create a better life for themselves. But as they struggle to get there, Gene's mission sets him on a crash course with Ashley June, his first love . . . and his deadliest enemy.


Well after my minor disappointment with The Prey, I am very pleased to report that I loved The Trap.  Mr. Fukuda seemed to have regained that break-neck feeling that was so present in The Hunt but that I felt was missing in The Prey.

This time around I was able to empathise with Gene and Sissy - in fact, they kind of got under my skin, in that I was almost there with them.  I was hiding in rail carriages, stuck in enclaves and riding in elevators, all the while holding my breath and hoping that I wouldn't get caught.  Only one thing didn't sit right with me and that was the whole heper smell idea.  I didn't quite believe that the hepers could have got away with living amongst the vampires without being found out.  There is a scene where Gene and Sissy are trying to remove all trace of their personal odour from themselves, and I couldn't help thinking that the process in itself would make them smell differently from the vamps. Could be just me over-analyzing though and I managed to accept it as a given.

This is a wonderful trilogy, best read one after the other, so if by chance you haven't discovered it yet, set aside some time and immerse yourself in this fascinating world where we are the minority and vampires rule.  Oh, and be prepared to have your ideas turned upside down at the end.  Gripping and exciting this is one vampire story you have to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment