Sunday, December 15, 2013

Shout Out to Indies - ZEIN by Graham Wood


   

 


We here at The Paperback Princesses often receive emails from Indie authors requesting reviews and are blessed with free book copies. Often we are unable to get to so many titles before our mass market published books take over our TBR shelves. That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of great reads though! We want to give back to those Indie authors and are declaring EVERY SECOND SUNDAY our SHOUT OUT TO INDIES MEME. For those of fellow bloggers, please feel free to add our meme to your regular schedule. We only ask that you quote and link back to us as a courtesy. For all of you Indie authors, we invite you to contact us at the contact link to your top left. We will select 1 - 3 titles (each time we post) that sound interesting. Lastly, for you readers, this is a bit of a test so please do comment and let us know what you think. We will also be offering up giveaway copies whenever we can! So without further ado, here is this week's pick -


 
 
 
 
One hundred years ago, fleeing terror in their homeland, The Zein Expeditionary Force arrived in a new galaxy, where they found planet Earth and its rich supply of the extraordinary and rare raw material zinithium. They also found Earth to be inhabited by humans; an aggressive race similar in appearance to their own, but technologically inferior. The indigenous species were too numerous to conquer, yet too engrossed in their own wars to make peace with. Instead of joining with the humans, the Zeinonians settled in four quadrants in the skies above Earth, masking their presence with their advanced alien technology. For decades they lived peacefully, mining the precious zinithium, awaiting a time when the human wars would cease, and the two might live side by side, in harmony.

One hundred years later and peace continues to allude the Earth. The Zeinonians must now face their own uprising, as the evil Zylar leads a powerful sectarian rebel army against the remaining protected quadrant, to once and for all take control of the Zein Earth Colony. Zylar’s plan is to invade and conquer Earth and plunder the precious zinithium to aid his empirical ambitions across the entire known Universe. There is only one Zeinonian who can prevent a devastating interplanetary war; young Kabel Blackstone, destined to be one of the most powerful Zeinonians to have ever lived. Following the mysterious ‘Ancient Prophecy’, Kabel travels to Earth where he forms a small band of unlikely human companions. Amongst them is Tyson Mountford, who has recently started to experience disturbing new powers and abilities; signs that he could be the key to the Ancient Prophecy. Kabel and Tyson, two strangers from different worlds, must join forces to overcome the tyrannical forces that threaten their lives, their families, and the future of their races. If they fail, Zylar will stop at nothing to destroy their home planets, on his mission to dominate the Universe.

Zein is the fast-paced sci-fi thriller charting an epic battle of good against evil, as an alien species allies with the human race to fight dark forces, both on Earth and in the skies above it. Whilst aimed at a young adult audience, Zein explores pertinent themes of romance, friendship and adversity which will undoubtedly resonate with many adults, too.


We asked Graham if he would like to tell us why he chose to write for a YA audience:

Thank you for the opportunity to post on your excellent site. We ‘indie’ authors appreciate the support you can give. You ask a good question on why I have selected the young adult market and
I will have to say that I didn’t consciously write the book to deliberately target this audience. I was caught up in the storytelling and by chance the end product is suitable to both YA and wider sci-fi
followers. However, I am really pleased that a number of YA sites are showing interest in my trilogy. When I was a child I had difficulty forming my words and had a speech impediment. To combat this I read many books and once I had exhausted the limited number of young adult books I had little choice but to read my dad’s novels.


Now the choice is immense and if I turned back the clock I would be spoilt for choice. I have recently read the Suzanne Collins trilogy (Hunger Games) and George RR Martin series of books (Game of Thrones) and enjoyed them thoroughly. I am only too pleased to be able to add my books to the pile.

Completing this book was a great personal achievement of mine. When I sat down in front of a
battered electronic typewriter when I was 15 years old and started my first attempts at producing
a novel I never thought it would take me 30 years. In fact it took me only four months to write and
seven months to edit once I started. The question I ask myself is why did I leave it so long? If I can
inspire the next 15 year old whose dream is to write then that would be great. I just hope they don’t
let life get in the way of their dream!

I have to pay a tribute to my daughter who via her bravely on facing, experiencing and recovering
from her open heart surgery made me realise that it was now or never to write my first novel.
I found writing an escape from the endless worry and this is a way I can thank the hospital that
operated successfully on Becky. Knowing that 50% of profits will be going to the hospital in the next
three years, was a great motivator.

I hope those readers who purchase the book enjoy the story and I can only promise that books two
and three are full of action, relationship issues and excitement. Just what I hope most young adults
crave for. I may be no longer a young adult but in my mind I am firmly that boy, unable to form
words clearly, with his nose in a good book. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Paperback Princesses for this new meme. I think it's very important to give voice to this new authors out there, who just happens to be Indie. After all, the big editor's houses have a market team working so we heard about their authors. But the Indies, have to be helped. And I bet there's so much nice things out there, too. :) So, thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete