Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Brokenhearted by Amelia Kahaney


Published: October 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 336
Copy Provided by:
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
Prima ballerina Anthem Fleet is closely guarded by her parents in their penthouse apartment. But when she meets the handsome Gavin at a party on the wrong side of town, she is immediately drawn into his dangerous world. Then, in a tragic accident, Anthem falls to her death. She awakes in an underground lab, with a bionic heart ticking in her chest. As she navigates her new life, she uncovers the sinister truth behind those she trusted the most, and the chilling secret of her family lineage…and her duty to uphold it.

Review:
It's funny, when I was reading this novel, I really enjoyed getting lost in a book that closely reminded me the Dark Knight.  I loved Anthem's character but when I stopped to think about the review, a few things started to bother me about this novel which seemed very disjointed.  How did Anthem fall in love so quickly with Gavin?  How is it that this very dedicated prima ballerina managed to dodge her classes for so long without someone discovering the truth?  If she was so disciplined in her craft, how did she manage to blow it off so often to spend time with Gavin?

This title was definitely not all hearts and flowers.  As the cover suggests, it is very dark and there are some violent, suggestive scenes.  Anthem's family seems very sheltered in their wealthy lifestyle and there are very loose "family" ties between her and her parents.  The existence of her older sister and her tragic death is an interesting segway which I would be interested in knowing more about.  All her life, it seemed as though Anthem was trying to compete with the ghost of a girl she was created to replace.  It was all very tragic.

Despite my earlier questions regarding the believability of The Brokenhearted, I still found it entertaining and very different from the novels I have been reading recently.  I would suggest giving it a chance but don't expect layers of depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment