Sunday, August 24, 2014

Shout Out to Indies - The Universe Builders by Steve LeBel




We here at The Paperback Princesses often receive emails from Indie authors requesting reviews and are blessed with free book copies. Often we are unable to get to so many titles before our mass market published books take over our TBR shelves. That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of great reads though! We want to give back to those Indie authors and  are declaring EVERY SECOND SUNDAY our SHOUT OUT TO INDIES MEME. For those of fellow bloggers, please feel free to add our meme to your regular schedule. We only ask that you quote and link back to us as a courtesy. For all of you Indie authors, we invite you to contact us at the contact link to your top left. We will select 1 - 3 titles (each time we post) that sound interesting. Lastly, for you readers, this is a bit of a test so please do comment and let us know what you think. We will also be offering up giveaway copies whenever we can! So without further ado, here is this week's pick:



We have all heard of the fabled perfect being, the Greek God.

Well, how about a geek god? Named Bernie, yet.


Fresh with his diploma from God School, determined but unsure, bright but without confidence, Bernie faces the challenge of building his own universe. If only it were that easy...


An old school rival will do whatever it takes to ensure Bernie's failure, even if it means destroying his world.

It’s god vs. god, guile vs. goodness, where only one of them plays by the rules. Bernie must find a way to outwit his evil foe. If he fails, it will cost him everything. 

A fascinating tale of good vs. evil and a young hero on a journey of self-discovery in an original, humorous, fantastic wrapper.


We asked Steve:

Why do I write for Young Adult?
First of all, I love fantasy and science fiction.  When I started writing my book, I had the pleasure of 25 people volunteers who read the early drafts.  When I talked with them about their reactions, I was surprised that half of them thought the book was for young adult while the other thought it was for adults.  When I started, I didn’t have a particular group in mind.  I just had a story I wanted to tell.
My writing style, shaped from years of business writing, was focused on communicating simply and effectively. Descriptions and embellishments were not a part of business writing.  When I wrote The Universe Builders, I had to learn a more descriptive style of writing and even describe the feelings and emotions of the characters.  But I still did it as simply as I could.  The outcome is a book that is easy to read.  The major themes are adolescent and young adult, although some have called it a coming of age book because of everything the young god experiences during the book.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, Carol. I appreciate it.

    Your readers might be interested in knowing The Universe Builders has just been named as a finalist for The Stargazers Literary Award. It's very exciting. The results will be announced in October.

    Thanks again.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete