Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Fantastic Fariytales Double Take - Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard


Published: February 2015
Publisher: Orion
Pages: 320
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: By Goodreads


Summary:
The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

Review:

It has been ages since Curlypow and I have done a double-take!  So much fun!

So I had only recently heard about Red Queen and what made me intrigued was that I had read some interesting Twitter feeds about Red Queen so I grabbed it from the library and flew through the novel.

Red Queen is based around the idea of a caste system divided by blood type.  Royal blood is always silver but towards the end of the book, we also learn that silver blood has its own hierarchy and even though you are born silver, it does not necessarily mean that you are upper class.

Something that I found fascinating in this society was that conscription occurs across both genders.  In the past, conscription only applied to males.  Here, it applies to both males AND females.  It makes me wonder if we were to experience World War III, and countries installed conscription, if both males and females would be included.  Societal values have changed much since the last World War.  Good point there Christinabean.  

The abilities of Silvers reminded me of X-Men  (Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson)while Mare and her unusual skills reminds me of The Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. Mare may be the one person who will change everything.

Let's talk characters.  There will be spoilers...just saying...for those of you who have not read the book.

Mare.  OK, this girl can be so ridiculous.  Was she friends with America Singer from The Selection in another life? Something tells me they would have gotten along famously. Sorry, I never did get around to reading the Selection so I can't say, but she certainly was determined.

Cal. I like him.  He sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.  He exhibits emotion and character.  I would have liked to see more interaction between him and Mare.  More talking!- less fighting and assumptions.

Maven...hmmm...well what can I say about Maven.  I was disappointed in him.  Maybe his attitude will change with future titles.  To have all of that hostility and resentment build up through the years.  And at the end, what he and his mother plot to do was hard to read but if he is like his mother, perhaps understandable.  Was she really that wicked?? Yes I think she really was that wicked!

Something that bothered me about this book was the pace in which Maven and Mare connect to assist the rebels is much too quick.  I would have expected the author to develop a relationship and a degree of trust and put this in the second book.  After reading Book #1, I understand the urgency of this event to happen but it was like they were strangers one minute and then plotting together AGAINST the monarchy the next.  Did I miss their connection or was it absent from the beginning?  When did she really start to trust him?  I felt more of a connect with his brother than with Maven. I have to agree there, I much preferred Cal to Maven.  There was something just a little too smooth about Maven for my tastes. 

True, the book was a little bit predictable but still an enjoyable read for me.  It was not as smooth as I would have liked but still a highly recommendable read.  I am eager to see where the story leads and I want to see the author do more world and character building.  Plus, we as readers really need to see what Mare can do with her powers.  I enjoyed this one too. I kept questioning why Mare was doing what she was doing, but the story made sense in the end. I look forward to seeing more of these characters.

2 comments:

  1. Great review. This book is on my TBR, but I haven’t gotten to it yet.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Predictable but enjoyable! I can't wait to see where the future books take the story. (: Awesome review!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete