Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver


Published: March 2015
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 357
Copy Provided by: Borrowed
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
Dara and Nick used to be inseparable, but that was before the accident that left Dara's beautiful face scarred and the two sisters totally estranged. When Dara vanishes on her birthday, Nick thinks Dara is just playing around. But another girl, nine-year-old Madeline Snow, has vanished, too, and Nick becomes increasingly convinced that the two disappearances are linked. Now Nick has to find her sister, before it's too late.

In this edgy and compelling novel, Lauren Oliver creates a world of intrigue, loss, and suspicion as two sisters search to find themselves, and each other.

Review:
I love Lauren Oliver. She was one of the first YA novel writers that I got into for contemporary fiction.  Not only that but when I wrote to tell her how much I loved Before I Fall, she wrote me back.  She was still fairly new on the scene but the fact that she took the time to write me made me all the more awestruck.

Vanishing Girls is a little bit more edgy than Before I Fall.  I have to admit that I have not yet read the Delirium series even though it is on my bookshelf.  As I've said before...so many books, so little time. 

I found that a lot of the book is implied in Vanishing Girls.  Lauren spends a lot of time building things up and then it picks up steam 60% of the way through.  I had a lot of WTH moments but it all came together at the end.  

One of the things that I REALLY enjoyed in this novel was how she tied the fair into her locations.  Alice tells Nick about the magic of the fair, and I have to agree.  There is something about going to a fair that excites and compels the senses to trick your mind into feeling like you are somewhere magical and different where you can forget about your worries and just believe.  I feel the same way about DisneyWorld.  

Nick is caught in so many different paths in her life, it is hard to pick the one that is real.  Can she find her sister before her time runs out?  Fans of E. Lockhart's We Were Liars are going to love this one.

- Christinabean

1 comment:

  1. This book really spoke to me. Dara reminded me a little of my younger brother with her recklessness (but he grew out of it). I love the ominous feel to this book. I guessed the plot twist 50% in but the way Lauren Oliver wrote everything made me keep second guessing myself. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! (:


    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete