Thursday, November 5, 2015

Get Dirty by Gretchen McNeil


Published: June 2015
Publisher: Baltzer & Bray
Pages: 384
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
The members of Don’t Get Mad aren’t just mad anymore…they’re afraid. And with Margot in a coma and Bree stuck in juvie, it’s up to Olivia and Kitty to try to catch their deadly tormentor. But just as the girls are about to go on the offensive, Ed the Head reveals a shocking secret that turns all their theories upside down. The killer could be anyone, and this time he—or she—is out for more than just revenge.

The girls desperately try to discover the killer’s identity as their personal lives are falling apart: Donté is pulling away from Kitty and seems to be hiding a secret of his own, Bree is sequestered under the watchful eye of her mom’s bodyguard, and Olivia’s mother is on an emotional downward spiral. The killer is closing in, the threats are becoming more personal, and when the police refuse to listen, the girls have no choice but to confront their anonymous “friend”…or die trying.

Review:
I am a big fan of Gretchen McNeil.  She has interesting novels, all with some kind of suspenseful plot or thrilling outcome.  Get Dirty is a continuation of the Don't Get Mad series.  I love the premise where a group of unexpected teens who don't have any connection get together to extract revenge on the bullies in their school and community.  If you enjoyed The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney, you would like this one.  

Unfortunately, Book #2 didn't pull out the punches for me and I did find that it was a little bit lacking in the suspense.  Gretchen does a good job of keeping the real killer secretive and mis-directing the reader in all different directions but I didn't feel the same kind of intensity as I did in the first title.  If you have already read Book #1, I do recommend finishing the series up as it is a quick read and it is nice to confirm any suspicions you may have concluded about the killer.  Overall, I was happy that I read the title but I probably wouldn't read it a second time.

I was also surprised to see this as a two book series. I have become so used to the stand-alone or three book series that I wasn't expecting it to come to an end right away.  Good that it worked out that way as it was pleasant to have a shorter reading commitment.  Even though I am not singing Gretchen's praises for this title, she is still one of my favorite authors and I'm keen to see what is next on her publishing list.  

1 comment:

  1. oh! a two book series, this i would be interested in. Trilogies are so ... last season
    ailyn
    http://www.honesty-virtue.com/

    ReplyDelete